Saturday, 31 March 2012

Charity shop tip #2

Hey! Hope you're all having a good weekend. I've spent half of mine lying very still in bed cos I very painfully pulled a muscle in my back. But hey, it's given me a chance to get round to writing the second charity shop tips post! I've also had time to do a revamp on the blog, set up my bloglovin and also set up a twitter. Feel free to add me on either!


Collars, collars, collars (pt.1)

Collars are EVERYWHERE at the moment - on tops, on dresses, under jumpers and lots of shops sell collars on their own that you can put together with outfits, such as these two:


top - miss selfridge, bottom - missguided

However, if you look through the charity rails, you can get one at a fraction of the cost. I always spot interesting looking collars on shirts in charity shops -  brightly coloured, patterned, beaded etc. And they can be so much more versatile than just wearing the shirt itself. If I buy a shirt just for its collar, I usually either cut the sleeves off, or cut it into a bib shape. This makes for easier layering. I don't cut them right down to the collar (as shown in those from the shops above) as I think this stops you from wearing them with all different necklines without the collar riding up or looking out of place.

The collar I'm going to show you is a shirt that I found on a charity shop pound rail. It has embroidered detail, plus a silky edging. It was a size 18 and had long sleeves, which meant it didn't look good oversized. All I did was chop the sleeves off it, and I can now layer it under lots of different styles, for example:

Under a contrasting colour top


 Under a complementary colour top

top - charity shop, skirt - miss selfridge, shoes - asos

 Under t-shirts

t-shirt - johnny foreigner, skirt - h&m, shoes - charity shop

 Under jumpers

jumper - charity shop

 Or even over an existing collar!

dress - primark

As you can see, all of these outfits involved different necklines, and I really don't think they would have worked with the standard collar bought from a shop. So next time you're in a charity shop, scout out any interesting collars you can find as they're so versatile and bring something a bit different to an outfit!


Laila x


20 comments:

  1. omg. this is awesomw. i love the combinations. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouchies about the back, I hope you get better soon! I love this post, such a good way to use one shirt so many ways. I think my favourite has to be the collar under the jumper, very classic.
    Hello from your newest follower! :)
    R xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks great in every combination!

    ashleytreece.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUCH A GOOD IDEA ! I'm appreciating all the examples, you are the queen of layering ! Molly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love layering! Don't know what I'm going to do once it gets hot...!

      Laila x

      Delete
  5. I could never have thought of putting these outfits together. You really have a flair for fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a brilliant post! You're beautiful and have a new follower xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a cool idea :)

    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving the tips - keep em coming! xx

    http://deardollyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, such a good idea to cut off a bib shape rather than just cutting the collar off. I love it under the floral tee and the jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a good post and a good tip! The collar looks so brill with all of these outfits, I really love it under the floral tee!

    wishfulsinfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely gorgeous!! i can't cope, so many nice outfits :)


    www.clothesmaiden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bloody hell, how long did this lovely lot take you!? You must have been taking photographs for hours!

    I particularly like the collar with the sweater. :)

    Emily x
    www.incurablycurious.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not I took these (plus some ebay selling photos) in about half an hour before work, haha. I'm a quick clothes-changer!

      Laila x

      Delete
  13. I like the second one and yours is lovely too
    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good idea, I've been looking for the perfect poet sleeves on a white shirt but the shirts always shrunken. Now I'm going to cut them off & make them into cuffs! Thanks. Your blog's amazing. You really remind me of Hipster Musing girl too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh sounds interesting! And thanks - her blog is one of my favourites!

      Laila x

      Delete
  15. very cute! love collars. your outfits are fab

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you've done with this post! Great inspiration!

    www.fiftysixfreckles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is great, lovely idea!

    Drea @ Drea's Junkyard

    ReplyDelete