Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying your weekend! Today I've decided to do something a bit different to my usual outfit post, and something that I hope will become a regular feature. As you know, most of my outfit posts feature a lot of charity shop buys, and I've had a few comments from people asking for tips, or how I manage to find so many nice charity shop items. So, off the back of that, I've decided to put together some charity shops tips - and here's my first one!
Look through ALL sizes of clothes
There are several reasons for this. The first is that although you do find a lot of primark, new look etc items in charity shops where the sizing will be correct (or as correct as primark sizing can be...) there are also a lot of vintage items where the sizing is different to nowadays. I think a lot of this is to do with vanity sizing, but for example a size 12 vintage skirt may fit the same as a Topshop's size 8.
The second reason, and the reason that I usually look through all the sizes is because oversize tops look great when paired with well-fitted bottoms. In all the high street shops you will be able to find examples of these - floaty blouses, slouchy tshirts and baggy jumpers. I actually bought a top this week that inspired me to write this post. It's a snakeskin patterned shirt, and was labelled a size 20 and a bargain at £1. As a size 8-10, it is long and baggy enough to wear over leggings (or in my case, riding pants as I don't own any decent leggings). And here's the outfit in action:
shirt - charity shop, riding pants - american apparel, shoes - creepers
It also looks good tucked into high waisted trousers/ skirts/ shorts:
Although I really enjoy wearing oversized items, I know that others maybe don't - but that's no reason not to buy oversized items if you find a cheap shirt in a pattern or colour that you like - they are also great for layering. Here's a couple of examples.
Layered under another top, with a necklace around the collar:
cardigan - charity shop, velvet top - charity shop, necklace - matalan
Layered under a jumper/ sweater with just the collar and bottom hem poking out:
sweater - charity shop
Also - belts help if you're wanting to wear oversized but still want to show off your waist!
So, next time you're in a charity shop, don't just skim past that size 20 shirt - try it on, think what you have at home that you could layer it with and you might just end up with a bargainous and versatile new item of clothing!
Well I think I can safely say that's the most writing/ photos I've had in one post - can you tell I'm passionate about charity shopping?! I've got a few more tips lined that I'll be posting at some point over the next few weeks, along with my usual outfit posts.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Laila x
That shirt is fantastic and these tips are great!
ReplyDeletehttp://tracksforlife.blogspot.com
i love the shirt! it works so well with all of these outfits! I think Exeter must have the worst dressed people in the whole world, our charity shops are rubbish! especially for shoes! :( hehe xx
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean haha, takes a lot of searching sometimes!
DeleteLaila x
really good tips, really like your shirt :)x
ReplyDeletethese are amazing finds! kind of reminds me something you'd find in urban outfitters but for like £40-£50!
ReplyDeletehttp://monster-diaries.blogspot.com/
And that's why I go to charity shops - refuse to pay that much for something like a shirt!
DeleteLaila x
what a great find, and thanks for sharing your tips - i rarely find realy bargains
ReplyDeletehttp://blogoftheprettythings.blogspot.com/
xxx
that shirt is awesome! x
ReplyDeleteahhh i love the second outfit and the cat sweater so much! thanks for the tips! i never know where to start with charity shops! i love riding pants, they're amazing, wearing them in my most recent post as well haha! :P love your creepers too, cannot wait to hear the rest of the tips! thanks for your lovely comment and i hope you've had a sweet weekend :) xxx
ReplyDeleteI have to stop myself wearing my riding pants everyday, I love them! Thank you :)
DeleteLaila x
So pretty! LOVE your blouse. Layered perfectly!
ReplyDeletePS. We’ve a $100 Giveaway to Vantage Point Vintage on our blog! Check it out, if you’d like :)
ox,
davie+erica
LPFashionPhilosophy
The shirt looks amazing on you, I love all the different ways you've styled it! I always end up buying oversized items if I go charity shopping!xx
ReplyDeletegreat post! love the charity shopping tips! x
ReplyDelete- Ally @ Styled With Leather
you're so lovely!!
ReplyDeleteamazing creepers
that cat sweater is perfect... I mussst have one! :(
ReplyDeleteCHECK OUT THE GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG! xx
www.17-candles.blogspot.com
This is a great new feature!
ReplyDeleteYou look oh-so-stylish in every picture,
Rosie x
Yay! The cat jumper is back in town! I agree, I always buy baggier clothes, like I'm an 8/10 but sometimes I buy 12's in case they shrink in the wash and they just generally look better and give the illusion you look skinnier. And I'm totally in LOVE with the velvet jumper. The collar and the chains poking through! Lovely!
ReplyDeleteGemma x
www.gemmasatire.blogspot.com
Oh this is really helpful!!
ReplyDeletehttp://golddustk.blogspot.com/
Katie x
What a wonderfully helpful post! Thank you for the tips- I'll definitely keep a more open mind next time I'm on a thrifting mission when it comes to sizing! Xx
ReplyDelete