

denim jacket - car boot sale, turtleneck crop top - charity shop/ diy, tartan trousers - charity shop, earrings - primark, ian the rabbit - farmer's market
So September's here (already) and with that marks my year of thrifting! I was already shopping in charity shops for three or four years previously, but last September was when I made the concious decision of quitting the high street altogether in terms of clothing. I originally set myself the challenge for a month, and the reason behind why I started doing it was simply money. I was beginning to seriously househunt with my best friend (and now housemate) and I knew I just wouldn’t have the money to sustain my throwaway high street fashion habit much longer. However one month turned into two months, two months into three, and now here I am a year later! I can safely say that restricting myself to solely second hand items has opened my eyes to the possibilities of clothing in terms of altering and personalising clothes. I also think I've become a lot more confident and adventurous with my fashion choices, too. I don't think I've ever had as many items of clothing as I do now either, thanks to the discovery of 50p rails and £1 rooms (here's to you, Salvation Army!). At one point, I did think I might start high street shopping again after a year, but after going charity shopping yesterday and getting three dresses and a (cat print!!!) shirt for £7.50, I'm not sure I'll be going back anytime soon.
Anyway - onto the outfit. I kept seeing this style American Apparel turtleneck crop tops all over blogs and really wanted one. So I hunted down a normal turtleneck top (this one was £1) and hacked at it and sewed it until it resembled something similar. I do like it in this outfit but I kind of feel like I'm being strangled when I'm wearing it so I don't know if I'll wear it again. Ian liked it though. It matched his fur.
Laila x
the turtle neck looks great on you. Maybe I should go for more daring necklines haha.
ReplyDeleteLove tartan so much!
It's great that you can look to bigger brands like AA and DIY your own. That's pretty cool
always enjoy your posts x
t h e l o v e l y s h a d e s o f p e p p e r b lo g
I commend you, although I love my charity shops to bits I don't know if I could limit myself. Maybe that's because I work on the high street and I'm surrounded by temptation every day. That crop top looks great, I've been looking for a black turtle neck one exactly like it.
ReplyDelete♥
i think it helps that i have 3 charity shops that i can get to on my lunch break and no high street shops (unless you count sainsburys clothing range, which i can't say i have ever been tempted by!)
DeleteI think it's so good that you have only brought clothing from charity shops for a whole year, and managed to run an awesome fashion blog and look great in every post. Turtle neck looks so good on you, suits your frame really well and i love the print on these trousers too :-) xxx
ReplyDeleteI loveeee the tartan trousers!
ReplyDeleteClaudia xxx
www.claudiakitten.blogspot.com
thats aweseome :) I really apreciate your decision.keep on going. <3
ReplyDeletelove the crop xx
ReplyDeleteHaha it matches his fur. It's too bad you went to all that trouble and it didn't really work out. Oh well, at least you tried it- and didn't spend loads of money on it. And that's exactly what happened to me thrifting! I didn't want to pay $30 for dresses anymore so I took a peek into the thrift store by my house, and now 3 months later I don't even feel like going into real stores anymore. We're such smarties ;)
ReplyDeletei like it, i just don't like having things round my neck! never mind eh. and yes we are ;)
DeleteCharity shops are brilliant but when I go back to high street shops the prices make me want to cry! x
ReplyDeletesame, haha! especially when i go to buy tights and i think i could have bought 2 dresses with that amount of money!
DeleteMega congrats for your year of thrifting!! When I first read your little blurb at the side of the page I knew this was the kind of blog I wanted to follow.. Just so happens you have oodles of style too! Your outfits are always amazing and you'll be happy to know I'm almost always inspired to chairty shop after reading your blog (Not that I need much encouragement..!!) Love the crop and Ian combo today.
ReplyDeleteHELen
pierrelecat
awhhh thank you! does anyone need much encouragement to shop ;)
DeleteWow I didn't realise you'd only being buying thrift and for a year too- mega congrats! I hate nothing more than the high street on a Saturday to be honest, plus I get more compliments on my more 'out there' charity shop finds anyway! xxx
ReplyDeleteeverytime i go to town on a saturday i remember why i don't like it! thanks!
DeleteYou're attitude to thrifting is really inspirational- I love the early 1990s feel to this look- you pull it off a treat.
ReplyDeleteSophie x
http://www.lafashionfolie.com/
the tartan trousers are blinkin lovely! A whole year of just thrifting is to be applauded. I do predominantly buy second hand, its more fun as well.
ReplyDeleteit is, more browsing fun to be had!
DeleteLove this outfit!! Such a good idea finding a normal turtle neck and customising! I buy a lot of clothes from charity shops, but then also spend loads in high street shops! You have inspired me set this challenge myself, but only for a month haha to ease myself in!! Love your sense of style too!!xxx
ReplyDeleteif you do it keep us updated on your blog, i'd love to read about it!
DeleteAh Laila this is AMAZING! I commend you so much on your self displine and self control! Seriously you've done so well because I'm always in awe over practically ALL your outfits and I agree, doing something like this must make you brave and more adventurous over your outfit choices. Just goes to show you don't need loads of money to look great and the turtle neck top for a £1 is a kick in teeth for the high street. It's LOVELY!
ReplyDeleteGemma x
www.gemmasatire.blogspot.co.uk
aaaawh thank you. YOU'RE lovely!!
DeleteOh my gosh, Ian is a pure babe! How amazing is he?!
ReplyDeleteLovely outfit, and huge congrats on the year ;) Keep up the good work, you charity style guru! x
Ooooo I love this outfit, the trousers are amazing. I got referred to your site through Nifty Thrifts. I love your blog, you have some wicked style! x
ReplyDeletehttp://lovehatenostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/
I didn't know you were doing that challenge you've done so well to stick to it and always look so fab! Those trews are fantastic, I've got a similar pair that I haven't worn yet can't wait to dig them out. Your rabbit is called Ian! Haha I love it xxx
ReplyDeletethank you! he is called ian after my housemate's dad because they both have grey hair, haha!
DeleteIt's amazing that you've managed to keep it up for a year, I'm definitely going to try to shop more in charity shops but I think Topshop will always exert its pull on me and I won't be able to completely quit the high street! I love this outfit and Ian is adorable - what a great name for a rabbit!
ReplyDeletealthough i usually love the clothes, i've always been too cheap for topshop, haha!
DeleteYou've got such a cute blog!
ReplyDeleteRachel
floralprintsandcommonsense.blogspot.com
WOW such a cool idea, I wish we had that much thrift stores in germany <3
ReplyDeleteXOXO Bee
http://beautyanthebee.blogspot.de/
Some really impressive thrifted finds there, I especially like your trousers as I'm obsessed with anything plaid at the moment! Also loving the nineties vibe of your DIY turtleneck. And your rabbit... well, basically, frhiusrygkusf;iufrs; SO CUTE! x
ReplyDeleteHow Cute is Ian! I'm really tempted to try it. Do you have any tips? xx
ReplyDeleteDUDE you look awesome. I love thrifting! I basically only thrift. I love the idea of going an entire month shopping only second hand, i think I'm gonna!!
ReplyDeletexx eva
stylewandering.blogpspot.com
ps: suuuuuchh a cute bunny
you look amazing! i really like your black top!:)
ReplyDeletewould you like to follow each other?
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/CoeursDeFoxes
Ahhh love the trousers! xo
ReplyDeletehttp://www.vipxo.co.uk
The trousers are amazing. Can't believe they're charity shop, I just bought a pair on sale from Motel because I was convinced I'd never find a pair in a charity shop x miaoliver.blogspot.com
ReplyDeletewow thats so cool, a year of thrifting is such a great idea to get creative. i love the outfit!
ReplyDeleteCheck me out!
calurvillade.blogspot.com
Paolina
turtle neck is lush!
ReplyDeleteI want Ian!
ReplyDeletehttp://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
x